Friday night’s NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series program at Richmond Raceway was interrupted by lightning and rain, a pause that arrived as championship positioning tightened and as the series confronts a separate scheduling shift with Rockingham Speedway excluded from next year’s national calendar.
- Richmond’s Black’s Tire 250 was delayed by lightning and rain; Shane van Gisbergen had the pole.
- Layne Riggs led the Truck Series standings by 100 points and could clinch the No. 1 seed with a strong Richmond result.
- Only two regular‑season races remain to set the 10‑driver Truck Series Chase; points gaps around the cutoff are small.
- The total purse at Richmond was reported as 9,700, up slightly from 2025.
- Track Enterprises announced Rockingham Speedway will not host NASCAR national events in 2027 due to facility uncertainty.
What happened at Richmond
NASCAR announced the Black’s Tire 250 presented by BTS Rewards — scheduled for a 7:30 p.m. ET start at Richmond Raceway — was delayed when lightning and showers moved over the 0.75‑mile short track. The pole sitter was Shane van Gisbergen, and NASCAR said the race would resume once conditions allowed. NASCAR’s live updates indicated the story was being followed and would be updated as the situation developed.
Why this weekend matters for the Chase
Richmond arrives with the regular season in its final stretch: only two races remain to set the 10‑driver field for the Truck Series Chase. Championship leader Layne Riggs — a five‑time race winner this season — entered the Richmond weekend with a 100‑point advantage over TRICON Garage’s Kaden Honeycutt and the opportunity to lock down the No. 1 seed with a strong showing in the Black’s Tire 250, even though a final regular‑season race follows at New Hampshire.
Several drivers have already clinched Chase berths: Riggs, Chandler Smith (Front Row Motorsports), Christian Eckes (McAnally‑Hilgemann Racing) and Gio Ruggiero (TRICON). Others currently occupying Chase spots include Ty Majeski and Ben Rhodes (ThorSport Racing), Grant Enfinger (CR7 Motorsports), Daniel Hemric (McAnally‑Hilgemann Racing) and Stewart Friesen (Halmar Friesen Racing).
The points picture is tight below those positions. Jayski reported there are only 49 points separating ninth‑place Hemric from 14th‑place Brenden McQueen, and Tyler Ankrum sits eight points behind Friesen for the 10th and final Chase slot — small margins that make Richmond’s outcomes highly consequential.
Storylines on the starting grid
Beyond playoff math, Richmond brought several headlines. Former NASCAR Cup Series regular Elliott Sadler — a Virginia native — returned to the truck series, driving the No. 25 for Kaulig Racing in his first start in 25 years, according to pre‑race listings. New Zealand Cup star Shane van Gisbergen secured the Kennametal pole with a lap of 23.168 seconds and will lead the field to green when the race resumes. RacingNews recorded van Gisbergen’s pole time in its Richmond starting lineup coverage.
Jayski previewed practice and qualifying schedules, noting on‑track sessions televised on FS2 and previewing that Corey Heim — last year’s Richmond winner — would again be a driver to watch.
Money on the line
While NASCAR no longer publishes individual win payouts, reporting from Motorsports Wire / USA Today’s network indicated the total purse for the Richmond Truck race was $789,700 — a modest increase from the 2025 Richmond purse. That total underscores the financial stakes for teams and smaller operations that rely on both purse money and sponsor exposure from high‑profile short‑track events.
Rockingham’s removal from the 2027 schedule
Separately, Track Enterprises said Rockingham Speedway will not host NASCAR‑sanctioned national events during the 2027 season. Heavy.com reported the decision follows “overall uncertainty at the facility,” and the track promoter expressed continued interest in returning NASCAR if circumstances change. Rockingham had returned to national touring competition in 2025 and hosted events again in 2026; its short‑track revival included Truck Series and ARCA races and produced winners such as Tyler Ankrum (2025 Truck winner) and Corey Heim (this season’s Truck winner at Rockingham), per Heavy’s coverage.
The announcement removes one of the short tracks that had briefly rejoined NASCAR’s national rotation, and Track Enterprises called the two‑year comeback successful while leaving open the possibility of future events if facility issues are resolved.
What this means for teams, drivers and fans
- Championship implications: With only two regular‑season races remaining, results at Richmond (and the following week at New Hampshire) will determine the final five Chase spots. Drivers on the bubble face tight arithmetic — small gains or losses will have outsized effects.
- Operational impact of weather: Delays compress team timelines. Crews must adjust tire and fuel strategies, keep cooling procedures in mind for brakes and engines, and maintain driver focus through stoppages — variables that can change a short‑track outcome when racing resumes.
- Schedule uncertainty for short‑track fans: Rockingham’s 2027 absence highlights the fragility of recently revived venues. Local communities and fans who celebrated the track’s return in 2025 and 2026 will now wait to see whether facility issues can be resolved and NASCAR will regain another short‑track weekend.
Unresolved points and what to watch next
NASCAR indicated it would update the Richmond weather story as conditions evolved; at the time of reporting the exact restart time and the eventual race winner were not confirmed by the supplier documents. Observers should watch NASCAR’s live updates for restart information and the official results once the Black’s Tire 250 concludes. Separately, Track Enterprises’ statement left open the possibility Rockingham could return if the facility’s uncertainties are addressed; no timeline or specific remediation steps were provided in the available reporting.
“This story will be updated,” NASCAR’s race report concluded about the Richmond delay.
As the Truck Series heads into its final regular‑season stretch, Richmond’s weather interruption and Rockingham’s 2027 omission are reminders that championships hinge on on‑track performance and that the national schedule remains a living document influenced by venues’ operational realities.
