Coleslaw is a ubiquitous salad that is found all over the world and in all restaurants. There are many variations on the basic theme, where you can add nuts, seeds, fruits and other types of cabbages. In this one I add apple as it helps to lift the coleslaw by adding further crunchiness to the salad. I also try and keep the recipe healthy by using yoghurt and not mayonnaise, which is what most restaurants use.
• 400g white cabbage, hard core removed, very thinly sliced
• 500g red apples, cored, coarsely grated
• 1/2 small red onion, halved, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 125ml (1/4 cup) creme fraiche
• 1 tablespoon natural yoghurt
• Salt & freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine cabbage, apple, onion, and lemon rind and juice in a bowl.
2. Whisk together the creme fraiche and yoghurt in a small bowl.
3. Add the creme fraiche mixture to the cabbage mixture, and gently toss until well combined.
4. Taste and season with salt and pepper.