Home Russia & China China Chinese ambassador blames US for sinking trade deal

Chinese ambassador blames US for sinking trade deal

China and US are on a trade row and the global economy is suffering pertaining to this standoff. Trump blames China for rash actions while Chinese officials continuously backfire with more allegations. China has claimed Washington to lagging behind which is leading to trade war between two countries.

Chinese ambassador

AFP |

Chinese ambassador to the United States said in a Tuesday interview with Fox News that Washington repeatedly “changed its mind overnight” and sunk deals that could have ended the two countries’ trade war.

Ambassador Cui Tiankai also slammed as “politically motivated” the White House’s move to ban the transfer or sale of US technology to Chinese telecom giant Huawei.

“We are very worried. Such actions will really undermine people’s confidence in the normal function of the market,” Tiankai told Fox.

Huawei case

Washington has long suspected deep links between Huawei and the Chinese military, and its moves against the company came amid the churning trade dispute.

Read more: Trump steps up his game in pressurizing China; bans Huawei

After a six month ceasefire, the standoff erupted anew on May 10 when the United States increased punitive duties on $200 billion in Chinese imports after talks in Washington collapsed.

Beijing followed suit three days later, saying it would raise tariffs on $60 billion in US exports starting on June 1.

Washington repeatedly “changed its mind overnight” and sunk deals that could have ended the two countries’ trade war.

In the interview, Tiankai said the administration of President Donald Trump was to blame for the failure to reach an agreement.

“If you review the process of trade talks between us over the last year or so, it’s quite clear it is the US side that more than once changed its mind overnight and broke the tentative deal already reached,” Tiankai said.

Read more: US-China trade tussle takes its toll on businesses

“China remains ready to continue our talks with our American colleagues to reach a conclusion. Our door is still open,” he added.

US officials this week, however, issued a 90-day reprieve on the ban on dealing with Huawei, saying breathing space is needed to avoid huge disruption.

AFP article with additional input by GVS news desk

Facebook Comments