Home Global Village Christchurch victim’s widow: the ‘world saw who is the terrorist’

Christchurch victim’s widow: the ‘world saw who is the terrorist’

AFP |

Salwa Mustafa lost a husband and son to a white supremacist gunman in the Al Noor Mosque, but the Syrian refugee had a defiant message for the world a week after the tragedy.

Quran recited in New Zealand parliament for victims of Christchurch terror attacks https://www.aa.com.tr/en/vg/video-galeri/quran-recited-in-new-zealand-parliament-for-victims-of-christchurch-terror-attacks

Quran recited in New Zealand parliament for victims of Christchurch terror attacks https://www.aa.com.tr/en/vg/video-galeri/quran-recited-in-new-zealand-parliament-for-victims-of-christchurch-terror-attacks

Posted by Anadolu Agency on Tuesday, March 19, 2019

“If they think that they are destroying us, they are wrong,” Mustafa told a press conference as she held the hand of her remaining son, who was shot in the leg during the onslaught.

New Zealand's prime minister garners international praise

"All Western leaders must learn from the courage, leadership and sincerity of New Zealand’s prime minister."New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has been receiving international praise for how she handled the Christchurch mosque terror attacks. #NewZealandTerroristAttack

Posted by TRT World on Thursday, March 21, 2019

“What’s happened makes us stronger, because we are not terrorists,” she said. “People say that… Muslims are terrorists. The whole world saw who is the terrorist,” she said. “Muslims are people of peace and love, not terrorists.”

In Friday’s emotional press conference, Mustafa and her surviving son Zaid, 13, thanked New Zealanders for organising a national call to prayer on Friday.

“And I hope the whole world now can understand the real Islam, the reality of Islam,” she added. Khalid Mustafa and his 15-year-old son Hamza were the first of 50 victims in the shootings at two mosques in the southern New Zealand city to be buried on Wednesday.

Hundreds pay respects as grim task of burying Christchurch terror victims continues

Christchurch resident Salwa Mustafa, who buried her husband and 15-year-old son this week, was on the phone with her son in his final moments. "I just heard his low voice trying to speak to me and after that I didn't hear anything," the recently arrived Syrian refugee told reporter Lisa Davies, struggling to keep her composure. But despite the horror of the last week, she wants to return to the mosque to pray. "We need to show the whole world what's happened."More: http://bit.ly/2ul2RZT

Posted by 1 NEWS on Thursday, March 21, 2019

The family arrived in New Zealand last year as refugees from the conflict in Syria, only to find themselves victims of violence in a land they thought was safe. The accused gunman, Australian Brenton Tarrant, recounted his motivation in a rambling manifesto in which he spoke of wanting to battle “Muslim invaders”.

Read more: Christchurch mosque shootings must end New Zealand’s innocence about right-wing terrorism

In Friday’s emotional press conference, Mustafa and her surviving son Zaid, 13, thanked New Zealanders for organising a national call to prayer on Friday. Zaid, who sat in a wheelchair with a blanket draped over his injured leg, said he was devastated to lose his father and brother.

The whole world saw who is the terrorist,” she said. “Muslims are people of peace and love, not terrorists.”

“I’m feeling like if I died and my father and brother is still alive, it will be better,” he said, wiping tears from his eyes. But he vowed to keep living for them. “I’m feeling like if I am just sitting around sad all the time, it doesn’t make sense,” he added.

Read more: ‘What’s next?’: Christchurch Muslims struggle with shock, fear

“I am thinking to complete my life like there is no-one dead.” Zaid added that he would return to Al Noor for prayers once it was reopened and he had recovered from his wounds.

“It means so much, to thank the God for everything that happened,” he said.

© Agence France-Presse