Advertising

Did WHO warn the world about Coronavirus?

US President Trump alleged that WHO failed to issue a meaningful warning about COVID-19. WHO says that we warned the world on January 30, when there were only 82 cases outside China. Is US scapegoating WHO for his failure to handle the crisis?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

The World Health Organization’s director-general said Monday that the agency had sounded the highest level of alarm over the novel coronavirus early on, but lamented that not all countries had heeded its advice.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus pointed out that the WHO warned the COVID-19 outbreak constituted a “Public Health Emergency of International Concern” on January 30, when there were no deaths and only 82 cases registered outside China.

“The world should have listened to WHO then, carefully,” he told a virtual press briefing.

The organization has faced scathing criticism from US President Donald Trump, who earlier this month suspended Washington’s funding after accusing WHO of downplaying the seriousness of the outbreak and kowtowing to China, where the novel coronavirus first surfaced late last year.

Read more: Are you immune from COVID-19 after being recovered from it? Health experts are unsure!

Trump has provided no evidence to support his claims.

Tedros insisted that the UN health agency had provided sound advice from the beginning “based on the best science and evidence”.

But he stressed though that “we do not have any mandate to force countries… to take our advice.”

When the WHO announced on January 30 that the novel coronavirus represented “the highest level of emergency… every country could have triggered all its public health measures,” Tedros pointed out.

“I think that suffices the importance of listening to WHO’s advice.”

“We advised the whole world to implement a comprehensive public health approach, and we said find, test, isolate, and do contact tracing,” he said.

“You can check for yourselves: countries who followed that are in a better position than others. This is fact.”

“It is up to the countries to reject or accept,” he said. “Each country takes its own responsibility.”

The pandemic has claimed more than 206,000 lives and infected nearly three million people, according to a tally from official sources compiled by AFP Monday.

Read more: More men die from COVID-19 than women, but why?

The United States has the highest number of deaths at nearly 55,000, out of close to one million registered cases.

AFP with additional input by GVS News Desk

Continue reading

Steps taken to secure PMO after audio leaks: Law Minister

Law Minister Azam Tarar addressed press conference in on Thursday saying that steps are being taken to secure PMO after audio leaks.

HBL to counter head on allegations of terror financing in US

Earlier today, Bloomberg reported that Habib Bank Limited (HBL), faces secondary liability in a terror funding case in the United...

Pakistan would rather be bridge between China, US: Bilawal

On Thursday, Foreign Minister Bilawal Bhutto Zardari stated that Pakistan wanted to be a "bridge by unifying" the United States and China during a time of geopolitical conflict.