| Welcome to Global Village Space

Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Grieving Parents Left in Shock as PIA Flight Forgets Child’s Body

A tragic incident unfolds as a PIA flight from Islamabad to Skardu inadvertently leaves behind the body of a six-year-old boy, prompting grief, protests, and calls for accountability.

In a deeply distressing incident, a PIA flight from Islamabad to Skardu inadvertently left behind the body of a six-year-old boy at Islamabad airport on Friday, unbeknownst to his grief-stricken parents who continued their journey to Skardu. The young boy, Mujtaba, hailing from Katshi village in Kharmang district, had been undergoing treatment for a tumor at Benazir Bhutto Hospital in Rawalpindi.

Read More: Pakistan Faces Resurgent Poliovirus Threat

Mujtaba’s parents, Muhammad Askari and his mother, accompanied by another relative, had arranged for the transportation of their son’s body to their native village in Katshi for burial. Given the scorching weather conditions, a 24-hour road journey with the body was deemed impractical, prompting them to opt for air travel. They confirmed their tickets on PIA flight PK-451 scheduled for Friday morning.

Anguish at Skardu Airport

The situation took a devastating turn upon arrival at Skardu airport. To their horror, the parents were informed that due to a grievous oversight, their son’s body had not been loaded onto the plane in Islamabad and was left behind. This heart-wrenching revelation left the parents in a state of shock and despair, with the boy’s mother and father fainting upon receiving the news.

The news quickly spread, triggering an outpouring of grief and outrage among relatives waiting at the Skardu airport for Mujtaba’s body. An atmosphere of protest ensued as the bereaved family and supporters demanded accountability from PIA management for this egregious negligence. Despite efforts by airport officials to console the family, emotions ran high, and the protest persisted for several hours.

Outcry and Reassurances

Relatives and the affected family voiced their frustration and sorrow, emphasizing the financial sacrifice made to ensure proper transportation of the body through PIA. They expressed dismay at the airline’s failure and called upon the government to take swift action against those responsible.

Responding to the situation, PIA officials acknowledged the grave error and assured the parents that the body would be transported back to Skardu on the following day’s flight. They attributed the oversight to the cargo handling company at Islamabad airport and pledged to address the issue with appropriate measures and disciplinary actions.

Amidst the sorrow and protests, Yousaf Kamal, a relative of the deceased boy, highlighted additional concerns regarding the delayed flight due to a federal minister’s scheduling change. The flight delay compounded the family’s anguish, adding to the unfolding tragedy. Despite the misfortune, the airline committed to rectifying the situation promptly, aiming to bring solace to the grieving family with the expedited return of Mujtaba’s remains.