There are many varieties of Barfi, from plain old vanilla to coconut ones and then there is the expensive and rich varieties that have different nuts; cashew, almonds, pistachios and walnuts. This is a very simple recipe that will give you a taste of the East. South Asian sweets definitely test the boundaries of how much sweetness you can take. But if the taste is acquired then beware, for you will be craving it at the oddest possible times.
- Cashew nuts 1 cup
- Sugar ½ cup
- Water ¼ cup
- Silver paper for garnish
- Put cashew in food processor and grind to a semi fine powder.
- Add sugar and water in a pan and boil; stir until sugar melts completely.
- Check the consistency by pouring a few drops of syrup in a little water, if it does not dissolve in water then this is the right consistency.
- Now transfer cashew powder in sugar syrup and cook until form a thick rolling mixture. It should be soft flexible dough.
- When it is still warm, knead it well until smooth; don’t scrap mixture from the sides of pan as it will hard the dough.
- If the dough becomes hard, add ½ tsp melted ghee/butter.
- Now place a baking paper on work surface then shift dough on it and cover it with another baking paper piece and roll out dough with rolling pin about ¼ inches thick.
- Remove top baking paper and cut into diamonds shape. Garnish with silver paper.
- Serve or store in air tight container.