No PSL for Karachi public, matches to be held behind closed doors

PCB has announced that no PSL matches will be open for the public. Karachiites were excited for the next six days for matches but due to coronavirus threat authorities have decided to keep people from gathering at public places. A new set of measures in Pakistan has been announced to fight the deadly virus. The PSL decision came after fierce criticism against govt. Know, why & how Pak is trying to contain pandemic by banning PSL?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Pakistan cricket authorities announced plans on Thursday to close public access to a series of upcoming domestic league matches in Karachi, making an abrupt u-turn as criticism mounted online of the country’s handling of the coronavirus.

The announcement came as a match had already started in the bustling commercial hub of 15 million, marking what would be the last Pakistan Super League (PSL) match held in front of a live audience this season in Karachi.

“Following developments in the past 24 hours, the (Pakistan Cricket Board) has decided to take a proactive approach and put in place precautionary measures to better safeguard the health and safety of all those who will be involved in the upcoming matches,” said the governing body’s chief executive Wasim Khan.

Read more: Sindh Health Department recommends ban on PSL

Officials have yet to announce if several games including the league final set to be hosted in the eastern city of Lahore later this month will also be closed to the public. Karachi was set to host five Twenty20 league games over the next six days at the national stadium, which can hold up to 30,000 spectators.

The decision comes as anxiety escalates globally about the potential for unchecked transmission of the virus at big sporting occasions. Events around the world have been cancelled or postponed over the virus, including the suspension of NBA games in North America.

Social media users in Pakistan had earlier voiced concerns after authorities appeared set on continuing to host the Karachi matches despite a rise in coronavirus cases.

“Still trying to understand why PSL hasn’t been cancelled during a GLOBAL PANDEMIC,” tweeted Pakistani novelist Fatima Bhutto.

“World’s best sports events are cancelled but in Pakistan flight operations are still going on, PSL is still not banned… Where we’re headed?” added Twitter user Asim Siddiq. However, officials insisted the situation was under control Wednesday.

In a statement released by the Pakistan Cricket Board, officials encouraged fans attending games to wash their hands and refrain from hugging, shaking hands and spitting. “We have ensured all kinds of safety measures at the PSL matches, so the people can enjoy cricket,” said Murtaza Wahab, the provincial government spokesman.

As fans entered Karachi’s national stadium Thursday evening, health officials wearing medical masks took their temperatures and monitored handwashing stations.

Pakistan has recorded 20 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus — including several in Karachi — but no deaths, according to Mumtaz Ali Khan from the National Institute of Health.

Read more: PSL 5: Meeting of legends; PM Imran Khan met Vivian Richards, Shane Watson

However, there are fears that officials have yet to test large swathes of the population in earnest due to a lack of resources and decades of underinvestment in the country’s health sector.

This year’s PSL tournament is the first in the league’s five-year history to be played in its entirety on home soil. Previous seasons saw a portion of matches held in the United Arab Emirates over security fears.

COVID-19 is a ‘controllable pandemic’

The new coronavirus outbreak “is a controllable pandemic” if countries step up measures to tackle it, the head of the World Health Organization said Thursday.

WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus acknowledged Wednesday that the global outbreak of the new coronavirus could now be considered a pandemic — a disease actively spreading globally.

But he told diplomats in Geneva that describing the outbreak as a pandemic should not mean that countries give up the fight to stop it spreading further. “This is a controllable pandemic,” he said, according to a statement of his remarks.

“We are deeply concerned that some countries are not approaching this threat with the level of political commitment needed to control it. “The idea that countries should shift from containment to mitigation is wrong and dangerous,” he stressed.

More than 4,500 people have died, according to an AFP tally, while the WHO said some 125,000 cases had been reported from 118 countries and territories. “To save lives we must reduce transmission,” Tedros insisted.

“That means finding and isolating as many cases as possible and quarantining their closest contacts,” he said, urging states to test every suspected case of COVID-19 in a bid to slow transmission.

“Even if you cannot stop transmission, you can slow it down and protect health facilities, old age homes and other vital areas — but only if you test all suspected cases.”

Read more: PSL 5: Ali Zafar shatter records with ‘Mela Loot Liya’, fans rocked

The majority of cases have been in China, where the outbreak emerged in December, but major hotspots have also emerged in South Korea, Iran and Italy.

Together, those four countries account for more than 90 percent of all reported cases, according to the WHO.

AFP with additional input by GVS News Desk



Latest