My family loves crumble in all forms. Come Fall and out come all the crumble or crisp recipes as they call it here in America. Apple crumble is the family staple but Rhubarb and Pear come a close second. It is the perfect fall dessert to accompany an evening meal for guests, especially when served with ice-cream.
- 3 ripe pear
- 100g brown sugar
- 600g rhubarb
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
For the topping
- 200g plain flour
- 200g cold butter, diced
- 140g soft, light brown sugar
- 70g muesli or porridge oats
- Heat oven to 200oC/gas 6. For the topping, put the butter and flour together and rub to make into breadcrumbs then add the sugar and oats, then leave in the fridge.
- Peel the pears and chop into large pieces, then chop the rhubarb into finger-length pieces place in a bowl and add sugar and the orange zest and juice and give it a quick mix. Place the mixture into a large ovenproof dish.
- Crumble over the topping and bake for 40 minutes until golden and bubbling at the sides. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before spooning into bowls and serving with custard or ice cream.