At least 11 people have been killed in Sudan’s capital Khartoum in the past two days, the Health Ministry said Sunday. Suleman Abdul Jabbar, undersecretary of the Health Ministry, confirmed the death toll to Anadolu Agency, adding that the assailants used knives and other light weapons. “We urge citizens to not listen to rumors and maintain confidence in the authorities who are doing their best for stability and security of the capital Khartoum,” he added.
Millions join general strike in Sudan aimed at dislodging army https://t.co/5dxWaWr2gl
— The Guardian (@guardian) June 9, 2019
Sudan protesters start general strike after brutal military crackdown
Sudanese protesters began a nationwide civil disobedience campaign on Sunday as part of pressures on the ruling military council to hand over power to a civilian government. Shops are closed and streets are empty across the capital Khartoum. Protesters reportedly blocked roads in the cities of Khartoum, Omdurman and Bahari.
Ruling military council had shut down several public and private hospitals leading to a “catastrophic situation”
The civil disobedience was called by the Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA) after the ruling military launched a violent crackdown on protesters in Khartoum, leaving dozens dead. The strike led to shutdown of public and private facilities and left streets of the capital empty. Hundreds of people were left stranded at Khartoum airport due to flight disturbances as civil aviation officials joined the strike.
Sudan crisis: Call for civil disobedience after arrests https://t.co/pwP2l1Loax
— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) June 9, 2019
Earlier this week, military forces cracked down on a main protest camp in Khartoum, Sudan’s capital, in which over 100 protesters were killed and hundreds injured, according to the Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors. The opposition Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA) said the ruling military council had shut down several public and private hospitals leading to a “catastrophic situation”. Abdul Jabbar, however, denied any hospitals were closed forcibly but added some medical staff was attacked by unidentified people.
Sudanese military used the peaceful protests for their own agendas
(Background analysis added by GVS news desk)
The severe economic collapse under the rule of President Bashir sparked the protests that led to the end of Bashir’s dictatorship. The protests were led by the Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA) – a collaboration of doctors, lawyers and health workers. On 11th April 2019, the Sudanese army announced the removal of the president and the Transitional Military Council (TMC) was formed with the promise to oversee peaceful transition to civilian rule.
Read more: Deadly crackdown on protesters in Sudan condemned by US
On 15th May 2019, the SPA and the TMC agreed to a three year transition period. However, on 3rd June 2019, the military scrapped the agreements and announced “snap elections” which would take place in nine months. Former British ambassador to Sudan, Rosalind Marsden, told the BBC that the snap election would “simply pave the way for much of the old regime to come back into power”. Shortly after the announcement, the Sudanese military conducted the brutal and fatal crackdown on the peaceful protestors.
Anadolu with additional input by GVS news desk