This is a filling and nutritious salad. The barley along with the other vegetables provide you with enough soluble fiber that keeps your body satisfied for several hours. Barley is a complex carbohydrate so is really good for you if you have sugar intolerance or diabetes and also helps in controlling cholesterol.
- 150g (2/3 cup) pearl barley, washed, dried
- 4 cups water
- 2 bunches baby beetroot, trimmed, scrubbed
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 1 green apple, quartered, sliced
- 80g goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 190°C/gas mark 6.
- Toast barley, stirring constantly, for 4 minutes or until golden. Add water and bring to boil then decrease the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Wrap each beetroot in foil and put on a baking tray and roast for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Whisk the oil, vinegar, honey and mustard in a bowl. Season.
- Place asparagus on a lined tray and spray with olive oil. Season and roast for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Combine barley, apple, goat’s cheese and half the dressing in a large bowl. Add beetroot, red pepper and asparagus. Toss gently to combine. Drizzle with remaining dressing and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.