UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Iran to continue to abide by a nuclear deal reached with world powers after Tehran said it would soon surpass a uranium stockpile limit set in the 2015 accord.
Guterres “encourages Iran to continue to implement its nuclear-related commitments and calls on all participants to abide fully by their respective commitments,” his spokesman Stephane Dujarric said.
The UN chief also urged “other member states to support the plan’s implementation.”
European countries said that they reject any ultimatums by Iran and will assess Iran’s compliance on the basis of Iran’s performance regarding its nuclear-related commitments under the JCPOA
“The secretary-general urges all parties to refrain from any steps that may lead to further escalation of tensions in the region,” the spokesman added.
Iran said Monday that as of June 27, it will have more than the 300 kilos (660 pounds) of enriched uranium that it was allowed to have under the deal originally reached with Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the United States.
Last year, US President Donald Trump abandoned the deal, under which Iran pledged to reduce its nuclear capacities for several years and allow in inspectors in exchange for sanctions relief.
Want to understand more about Iran's #nuclear and security strategy? @MahsaRouhi discusses #Iran's actions since the US withdrawal from the #JCPOA and what this means for the region in our #SoundsStrategic podcast | https://t.co/6owmElCQLs pic.twitter.com/fkTwxQ9414— IISS News (@IISS_org) June 18, 2019
Washington then unilaterally reimposed crippling sanctions on Tehran.
Guterres said the agreement “represents a major achievement in nuclear non-proliferation and diplomacy” and has “contributed to regional and international peace and security,” the spokesman said.
Iran Decision to disregard JCPOA
(Input by GVS news desk)
President Hassan Rouhani threatened to disregard the nuclear treaty if the US fails to deliver sanctions relief within 60 days to counterbalance US President Donald Trump’s assault on the Iranian economy.
Starting today, Iran does not keep its enriched uranium and produced heavy water limited. The EU/E3+2 will face Iran's further actions if they can not fulfill their obligations within the next 60 days and secure Iran's interests. Win-Win conditions will be accepted.— Hassan Rouhani (@HassanRouhani) May 8, 2019
Iran’s decision was met with harsh backlash by United States and EU countries that are stakeholders in the JCPOA treaty.
EU diplomatic chief Federica Mogherini and France, Germany and Britain – the three European nations in the deal – voiced “great concern” over Rouhani’s intervention, which came on the anniversary of Trump’s withdrawal of the United States from the agreement negotiated under his predecessor Barack Obama.
“We reject any ultimatums and we will assess Iran’s compliance on the basis of Iran’s performance regarding its nuclear-related commitments under the JCPOA,” they said in a joint statement, referring to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action as the deal is known.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif hit back on Twitter. “EU statement today is why JCPOA is where it is: the US has bullied Europe – and rest of world – for a year and EU can only express ‘regret’,” Zarif tweeted.
EU statement today is why JCPOA is where it is: the US has bullied Europe—and rest of world—for a year and EU can only express “regret”.
Instead of demanding that Iran unilaterally abide by a multilateral accord, EU should uphold obligations – incl normalization of economic ties.
— Javad Zarif (@JZarif) May 9, 2019
AFP with additional input by GVS news desk