US categorically rejects Iraqi demands on troop withdrawal

The United States on Friday categorically rejected a request by Iraq's prime minister, Adel Abdel Mahdi, to send a delegation to start preparations to pull out its 5,200 troops in the country, showing total disregard for Iraq's sovereignty and the UN Charter. This is also a clear reversal from the professional position taken by the US Force Commander in Iraq on 6th Jan, when he had written to Iraqi military informing that US troops will relocate in deference to the decision by the Iraqi parliament.

troop

 

This is now a clear reversal of the position earlier taken, on Jan 6th, by the US force commander in Iraq, who had written to the Iraqi military that US troops will be relocating in deference to the resolution by the Iraqi parliament. Iraqi leadership had meetings with the US military commanders and emphasised Iraq’s desire to stay out of the US-Iran military tensions. Iraqi government considers both the US and Iran as its allies. Both, Iran and the US had been supporting Iraqi military in its battles against ISIS.

 

Iraqi Prime Minister said that the US’ killing of General Qassem Soleimani and Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis in Baghdad was a violation of Iraq’s sovereignty. US, as mentioned above, never took Baghdad into confidence before taking these steps. General Soleimani and Al-Muhandis were on their way to meet with Iraqi PM when a US drone attacked their convoy.

 


Prime Minister Mahdi said that the attack was in violation of the UN Charter’s Article 2(4) which says, “All Members shall refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state, or in any other manner inconsistent with the Purposes of the United Nations.

The United States invaded Iraq in 2003 to topple dictator Saddam Hussein, sparking bloodshed across the country

Read more: World leaders condemn Iran attack targeting US troops

GVS New Desk with input from Agencies. 

Facebook Comments

blank