Home South Asia Afghanistan Kandahar Tragedy: Pakistan rejects Afghanistan’s baseless allegations

Kandahar Tragedy: Pakistan rejects Afghanistan’s baseless allegations


News Analysis |

Pakistan on Wednesday has categorically rejected the allegations levelled by the president of Afghanistan. “Pakistan rejects ‘baseless and unfounded allegations’ regarding the latest Kandahar attacks. No hard evidence or intelligence-related information has been shared to date with Pakistan to substantiate such claims,” Pakistan’s Foreign Office has said.

A few days ago, Afghan president Mr. Ashraf Ghani alleged that the attack on slain Kandahar police commander Gen Abdul Raziq was planned in Pakistan, Tolo News reported. “I want to say that this conspiracy was plotted in Pakistan. So Pakistan should give us the criminals so that we can bring them to justice,” said Ghani.

Afghan media and some individuals are certain to establish the role of Pakistan in an attack which was carried out by the security guards of the General.

In response to the statement of President Ghani, the FO of Pakistan has said that “in the presence of elaborate mechanisms under Afghanistan-Pakistan Action Plan for Peace and Stability (APAPPS) to mutually and effectively address and investigate any such unfortunate incidents, it would have been more appropriate to invoke the relevant arrangement instead of resorting to media blame game, which is contrary to the seven principles of cooperation agreed between the two sides earlier this year.” But as always, Afghan President preferred not to use any formal channel for cooperation or help, he bashed Pakistan for some unstated reasons.

The senseless Kandahar attack on October 18  saw three top Afghan officials including Provincial chief General Abdul Razik killed and many others injured when their own guards opened fire on them at a security conference. A US general was also wounded and was flown to Germany.

Read more: Reactions and repercussions of the Kabul attack

A Taliban spokesman Qari Yousaf Ahmadi who claimed responsibility for the attack told The Associated Press that US Gen Scott Miller, commander of US and Nato troops in Afghanistan, was the target but he escaped unharmed.

After the great loss in Afghanistan, Prime Minister and Army Chief of Pakistan Armed forces condemned the attack and assured the Afghanistan of all sort of cooperation.

Afghan media and some individuals are certain to establish the role of Pakistan in an attack which was carried out by the security guards of the General. This perception is being created after several video clips of Mr. Razaq, were circulated on social media where he was threatening to wipe out Pakistan from the planet and vowed to be always an enemy of Punjab and Pakistan.

Stability in Afghanistan will ensure the peace in the region, which Pakistan will never sabotage.

As a matter of fact, Prime Minister Imran Khan had expressed condolences to President Ghani, the families of the victims and the people of Afghanistan recognizing that “peace and security of Pakistan” are inextricably linked to peace and security in Afghanistan.

Moreover, military spokesperson Maj Gen Asif Ghafoor had tweeted a statement of condemnation on behalf of Army Chief Gen Qamar Bajwa which expressed a desire to see security forces bring an end to “this prolonged violence in Afghanistan”.

Read more: Pak-Afghan blame game: who reaps the benefits?

Analysts believe that Afghanistan, keeping in mind the sensitivity of the matter, should refrain from passing such statements without evidence. Media blame game will not help to address the issue that needs diplomatic channels to be settled. Stability in Afghanistan will ensure the peace in the region, which Pakistan will never sabotage.