Wednesday, a fire broke out at Karachi’s famous Victoria market. Within minutes, flames engulfed the multi-story building, burning down several shops.
Reacting to the news, the Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah directed the KMC administrator and commissioner Karachi to extinguish the inferno immediately.
Shortly after the fire broke out at Victoria marker, four fire tenders reached the scene to extinguish the inferno. Fortunately, authorities reported no casualties so far.
Moreover, the traffic police temporarily closed down the road between Zainab Market and Fawara Chowk. The traffic police also provided diversions and diverted the traffic through alternative routes.
Firefighters are putting out fire that broke out at Queen Victoria market #Karachi today noon! At least 600 shops were gutted by fire on Sunday at Cooperative market which is few hundred away of the Victoria market pic.twitter.com/moClINHZqV
— Naimat Khan (@NKMalazai) November 17, 2021
According to reports, the reason for the fire is not yet known. However, citizens raised concerns as this is the second fire in the area this week.
Fire breaks out in Karachi’s Cooperative Market
A fire broke out Sunday evening at Cooperative Market near Regal Chowk in Karachi’s Saddar. The fire reduced almost 300 shops to ashes till Monday afternoon. Traders suffered massive losses worth millions of rupees.
After a six hours struggle, firefighters were able to douse the blaze. According to reports, ten fire tenders took part in the operation to control the blaze in the shopping hub of Karachi.
First cooperative market in saddar, and today victoria market next to zainab is on fire.
This area alone generates billions of rupees in tax, the incidents are suspicious as fire brigade that reached were without water.
Lawaris Karachi, Lawaris Karachi walay.
— Anas Tipu (@teepusahab) November 17, 2021
The affected shopkeepers had claimed that the fire tenders arrived an hour after the fire broke out and said that major losses could have been averted.
They had said that the fire erupted on the ground floor and spread to the first floor shortly as there was a huge stock of cloth inside the shops there.