News Desk |
Muhammad Khan Mehsud, the father of Naqeebullah Mehsud– the brutally murdered aspiring young model from South Waziristan– publicly warned all malicious individuals against maligning his son’s murder as an attempt to defame state institutions, particularly the Pakistan Army.
Muhammad Khan issued a video message on Thursday, stressing upon his faith in the Pakistani institutions and their ability to dispense justice. He said, “Those responsible for his [Naqeeb’s] murder were in uniform,” and justice will be dispensed by the very same individuals in uniform because, he added, “I don’t doubt anyone’s intention”.
Rao Anwar defended his actions by claiming that Mehsud was involved in anti-state activities with the Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, Islamic State, and Tehreek-e-Taliban, however, these claims could not be substantiated with evidence.
Mehsud’s father further added that he has faith in the intentions of the state and its institutions, and he went on to say that he believes that the Prime Minister, Chief Justice, and Army Chief of Pakistan would fulfill their promise of punishing the culprits who slew his son. He strongly warned all malicious groups against collecting funds under his son’s name.
Khan cautioned all those who have been using Naqeebullah’s name and his case as a pretext to further their own anti-state interests and clarified that, such individuals and groups have no connection with his family. He also added that the Pakistani Army has achieved great feats in Waziristan by eliminating terror and foreign-sponsored militants, which have helped restore peace and stability in the region.
“Pakistan Army is building markets, schools, and protecting our children,” Khan said, adding that ‘we must avoid focusing our rights on one region because “the whole country Pakistan is ours”.
Naqeebullah Mehsud was killed on 13th January 2018 in a fake encounter undertaken by the notorious SSP Malir, Rao Anwar, in Karachi. Mehsud’s body was handed over to the family on the 17th January, and this extra-judicial killing sparked outrage and protests across the country. Rao Anwar defended his actions by claiming that Mehsud was involved in anti-state activities with the Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, Islamic State, and Tehreek-e-Taliban, however, these claims could not be substantiated with evidence.
Mehsud was found to be innocent, while Rao Anwar was blamed for carrying out a fake encounter that murdered Mehsud and three others.
Instead, they were heavily contested and contradicted by Mehsud’s family and human right activists, and later, this tragedy was picked up by Pashtun Tahafuz Movement (PTM) who launched a countrywide protest to seek justice.
An inquiring committee was formed and senior police officials were instructed to investigate the matter. Mehsud was found to be innocent, while Rao Anwar was blamed for carrying out a fake encounter that murdered Mehsud and three others. In April last year, the Chief of Army Staff, General Qamar Javed Bajwa, met Mehsud’s father and gave assurances of dispensing justice. However, one year has passed, and Rao Anwar appears to be enjoying his post-retirement life as a free man.
It is pertinent to note that this is not the first time PTM and its workers have come under fire for maligning state institutes. Only last month, key PTM leaders were forced to leave a ceremony dedicated to APS victims because their anti-state and anti-army slurs were too much to bear for a grieving father of an APS victim.
Mina Jahangir with additional input by News Desk.