Home Global Village Wrong injection paralyzes a girl in Karachi: Who is to be blamed?

Wrong injection paralyzes a girl in Karachi: Who is to be blamed?

News Desk |

A girl in a hospital of Karachi lost her senses after she was given a wrong injection. The hospital administration has started investigating the incident and sought advice from experts. The girl has been shifted to a ventilator.

According to details, Nishwa was admitted to Karachi’s Darul Sehat hospital. The parents of the girl said that her health condition worsened after receiving a wrong dose and her mind is out of order. A First Information Report has been lodged by the parents against hospital administration.

High-risk intravenous injection errors are fatal to patients and bring great harm; something time and again proven by deaths of a lot of patients due to such practice, but doctors here fail to understand.  

The hospital administration said Nishwa had Gestro problem and she was given Potassium Chloride Injection. After this injection, her heartbeat went high and she felt difficulty in breathing. She had to be immediately shifted to a ventilator. Hospital administration said they would bear the cost of treatment and they have started investigating the matter.

Poor Management or Incompetency

This is not the first incident of the wrong prescription and given the situation in Pakistan, unfortunately, wouldn’t be the last one. Private hospitals have their own monopoly as there is no regulatory body to have control over them. The management of most of the private hospitals include investors of a capitalist approach, running their business at the profit-loss basis.

Read more: CJP’s Jihad extends to Pindi hospitals

They hire incompetent staff on lesser salaries, playing with the lives of patients who pay a hefty amount of bills to them. A number of cases get reported about the death of patients merely because of getting ill-suited medicines or wrong combination of doses. It reflects the sheer incompetence of doctors and para-medical staff.

It also demonstrate the state’s failure at two parts; It is not regulating private hospitals that are feeding on miseries of patients not only by charging them insanely but also in return offering as poor a service that claims lives of many.

After this injection, her heartbeat went high and she felt difficulty in breathing. She had to be immediately shifted to a ventilator. Hospital administration said they would bear the cost of treatment and they have started investigating the matter.

Secondly, such incidents also realize the state the flawed education system of Pakistan. There has been for a long period of time now, a debate that doctors in Pakistan need to realize that intravenous (IV) injections shall not be administered straight away especially to the kids as young as 9 and just having gastro trouble.

High-risk intravenous injection errors are fatal to patients and bring great harm; something time and again proven by deaths of a lot of patients due to such practice, but doctors here fail to understand.

Read more: Hospital discharges tiniest premature baby

Primary reasons of such horrible accidents are lack of knowledge and awareness of high-risk medications, carelessness in controlling the speed and drip of fluids, and injecting the wrong fluid; does this all not count as the incompetence of doctors? And ultimately, that of the education system?