Advertisement

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s run from royalty

Britain's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan will step back as senior members of the royal family and spend more time in North America, the couple said in a shock announcement on Wednesday. This has followed a year of steering around controversies and crises for the Royal family.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Britain’s Prince Harry and his wife Meghan will step back as senior members of the royal family and spend more time in North America, the couple said in a shock announcement on Wednesday.

The surprise news follows a turbulent year for the monarchy, with signs that the couple have increasingly struggled with the pressures of royal life and family rifts.

Last year began with the monarch’s husband Prince Philip overturning his Land Rover after crashing it into an oncoming car

“We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the royal family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen,” they said in a statement released by Buckingham Palace.

“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution,” they added.

“We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America.”

What constitutes a senior royal is not officially defined, although it is generally considered to be one who is close to the throne and continually carries out duties on behalf of the crown.

Read more: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Urged to Take a Site Out of Prince William and Kate Middleton’s…

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex spent Christmas in Canada after speaking of the pressure of being in the spotlight following their fairytale wedding at Windsor Castle in 2018 and son Archie’s birth in May.

They had previously announced they would miss Christmas with Queen Elizabeth and the rest of the royal family, choosing to spend it instead with the duchess’ mother, Doria Ragland.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7EaGS_Jpb9/?utm_source=ig_embed

Harry, who is sixth in line to the throne, said in October that he and his brother Prince William were on “different paths” and admitted tension in their relationship. “We don’t see each other as much as we used to because we are so busy but I love him dearly,” he said in an ITV television interview.

Media War

Meghan also admitted that it had been a “struggle” becoming a mother while living under an intense media spotlight. There are rumours of a feud with William’s wife Kate, and she said her British friends had warned her not to marry Harry.

“The British tabloids will destroy your life,” she said they told her. Asked in the ITV interview if she was “not really OK” and life had “really been a struggle”, she replied simply: “Yes.”

The couple recently launched legal action against British tabloid The Mail on Sunday for alleged invasion of privacy over a letter from the duchess to her father. It came with a stinging statement from Harry about general tabloid coverage.

The surprise news follows a turbulent year for the monarchy, with signs that the couple have increasingly struggled with the pressures of royal life and family rifts

Harry is also suing two newspaper groups over alleged voice mail interception, or phone hacking. Asked if Meghan was facing the same media pressures as Diana, Harry replied: “I have a family to protect.

“I will not be bullied into playing a game that killed my mum.”

blank

The royals had hoped to turn over a new page in 2020 following a year of trials and tribulations that Queen Elizabeth called “quite bumpy” in her Christmas Day message. Last year began with the monarch’s husband Prince Philip overturning his Land Rover after crashing it into an oncoming car.

It ended with the 98-year-old walking gingerly out of a London hospital after four nights of treatment for what Buckingham Palace described as a “pre-existing condition”.

Meanwhile, Prince Andrew — often referred to as the queen’s “favourite son” — was dogged throughout the year by allegations that he had sex with one of the victims of US paedophile Jeffrey Epstein when she was a teenager.

He denies the allegations.

2019 – a bumpy year

Queen Elizabeth II described 2019 as “quite bumpy” in her traditional Christmas Day message, after a year of crises which saw Britain divided over its impending exit from the European Union and her son Prince Andrew forced to withdraw from public life.

The interview in which Andrew denied having sex with one of Epstein’s alleged victims was widely ridiculed and reportedly criticised within Buckingham Palace, forcing him to “step back from public duties”

Read more: Meghan Markle Is More Responsible for Prince Harry’s Happiness Than You Feel – Showbiz Cheat Sheet

Britain endured a year of political drama linked to its delayed withdrawal from the European Union.

The queen was dragged into the saga when she approved Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s request to suspend parliament in August — with opponents accusing him of trying to close down debate on Brexit.

The Supreme Court subsequently ruled that Johnson’s request had been unlawful.

AFP with additional input by GVS News Desk.

Latest

Greater Middle East provokes China to step up military power?

Mr. James Dorsey, an award-winning journalist, talks about how China is trying to strengthen bilateral ties by building military relations with other countries. He also talks about series of unfortunate events that have caused China to review its strategic thinking and what other countries are expecting from China when it comes to cooperation.