Home Russia & China China Huawei slams back with their own Operating System

Huawei slams back with their own Operating System

Trump banned Huawei from doing business on American soil and had earlier arrested Huawei's heir to the CEO seat. Following the lead, many big companies halted their business with Huawei including Google which provides OS services to Huawei cells. Huawei slammed back with the news of their own OS system in production and people are hyped.

Huawei

AFP |

Chinese telecom giant Huawei says it could roll out its own operating system for smartphones and laptops in China by the autumn after the United States blacklisted the company, a report said Thursday.

The international version of the system could be ready in the first or second quarter of 2020, said Richard Yu, the head of the company’s consumer business, told US channel CNBC.

The company was dealt a blow this week with Google’s decision to partially cut off Huawei devices from its Android OS following a US order banning the sale or transfer of American technology to the firm.

Read more: China vs US: Huawei cannot use Google anymore

“Today, we are still committed to Microsoft Windows and Google Android,” Richard Yu, head of Huawei’s consumer business, told CNBC. “But if we cannot use that, Huawei will prepare the plan B to use our own OS.”

Huawei’s own ‘Operating System’

The Global Times, a Chinese state-run daily, reported on Monday that the platform – named “Hong-Meng” – was undergoing trials and will gradually replace the Android system.

Read more: Hongmeng Huawei’s first-ever self-developed operating system

“We don’t want to do this but we will be forced to do that because of the US government. I think this will not only be bad news for US, but also for the US companies because we support US businesses, Yu told CNBC.  “We don’t want to do this but we have no other solution, no other choice.”

Read more: Trump steps up his game in pressurizing China; bans Huawei

The US Commerce Department, which added Huawei and 68 of its affiliates to an “entity list” last week, on Monday announced a 90-day reprieve, allowing some services to continue.

Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei had earlier waved off US attempts to block the company’s global ambitions, saying the United States underestimates the telecom giant’s strength.

Ren spoke to Chinese media days after President Donald Trump issued orders aimed at thwarting Huawei’s business in the United States, the latest salvo in a months-long effort to stop the company’s charge to the top of the leaderboard in next-generation 5G technology.

China backs Huawei

China threw its weight behind Huawei’s legal battle against the United States on Friday, vowing to take all necessary measures to defend the “legitimate rights” of Chinese companies and individuals.

Foreign Minister Wang Yi voiced Beijing’s support as Huawei mounts a legal and public relations campaign to counter US warnings that the company’s networks and equipment could serve as Trojan horses for Chinese intelligence services.

Chinese people have shown their support for their native telecom company by boycotting all the American electronics and videos have emerged of Chinese people destroying their Apple products.

AFP story with additional input by GVS news desk

Facebook Comments