Home Global Village No bilateral talks with US under any circumstances: Iran

No bilateral talks with US under any circumstances: Iran

Tehran and Washington have been at loggerheads since May 2018 when Trump unilaterally withdrew the US from the nuclear deal agreed by six major world powers and began reimposing crippling sanctions. Now Rouhani says Iran will only talk to all the major powers, like last time.

talks

AFP |

President Hassan Rouhani on Tuesday ruled out holding any bilateral talks with the United States and threatened to further cut Iran’s commitments to a nuclear deal within days. His comments were followed by the US imposing sanctions on Iran’s space programme, as Washington claimed a recent explosion on a launch pad was a sign of missile work.

Iran and three European countries — Britain, France and Germany — have been trying to save a landmark agreement reached in 2015 and meant to limit Tehran’s nuclear programme after the US pulled out last year. But French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian cautioned that several issues were still hindering their efforts.

The French president has been trying to convince the US to offer Iran relief from sanctions it has imposed on the Islamic republic since pulling out of the agreement.

“There is still lots to work out. It’s still very fragile,” Le Drian told journalists in Paris on Tuesday. France has been leading efforts for dialogue, with President Emmanuel Macron expressing hope during G7 talks in late August of organising a meeting between Rouhani and US President Donald Trump.

However, in a speech to Iran’s parliament on Tuesday, Rouhani said any dialogue with the US would have to fall within the framework of the six major powers that agreed the nuclear deal. “Maybe there has been a misunderstanding. We’ve said it several times and we repeat it — there has been no decision to hold bilateral talks with the US,” said the Iranian president.

Read more: ‘Dialogue at gunpoint’: Bolton makes talks impossible for Iran

“In principle, we don’t want bilateral talks with the United States,” he told lawmakers, saying Tehran had rebuffed several proposals for such talks. “If the United States lifts all sanctions… it would be possible to talk (to them) during 5+1 meetings as in the past,” Rouhani said, referring to the powers involved in negotiating the 2015 deal.

Tehran and Washington have been at loggerheads since May 2018 when Trump unilaterally withdrew the US from the nuclear deal and began reimposing crippling sanctions. The arch-foes were on the cusp of confrontation in June when Iran downed a US drone and Trump ordered retaliatory strikes before cancelling them at the last minute.

President Hassan Rouhani  ruled out holding any bilateral talks with the United States and threatened to further cut Iran’s commitments to a nuclear deal within days.

On Tuesday, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that the US was imposing sanctions on the Iran Space Agency and two affiliated research centres, in order to constrain its ballistic missile capabilities.

The move came after an explosion at an Iranian satellite launch pad on August 29, which Pompeo alleged was an “attempt to launch a space launch vehicle”. “The United States will not allow Iran to use its space launch program as cover to advance its ballistic missile programs,” he added.

Read more: Iran will not hold any talks with US unless sanctions are lifted

Countermeasures

In response to the US withdrawal from the nuclear deal, Iran has scaled back its nuclear commitments. The 2015 deal had given it the promise of relief from sanctions in return for curbs on its atomic programme.

The arch-foes were on the cusp of confrontation in June when Iran downed a US drone and Trump ordered retaliatory strikes before cancelling them at the last minute.

It has already increased its uranium enrichment and stockpiles, and Rouhani said Tuesday a “third step will be enacted in the coming days” unless the remaining parties to the deal honour their own commitments. Reacting to the threat, a French diplomat involved in talks with Tehran said any further violation of the deal would send a “bad signal”.

The diplomat, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said such a move would “make the (mediation) work more complicated”, but said France would remain engaged with Tehran to try promote dialogue. On Friday, the International Atomic Energy Agency said just over 10 percent of Iran’s uranium stockpile was enriched to 4.5 percent, above the 3.67 percent limit stipulated in the 2015 deal.

Read more: Iran talks aim to save nuclear deal after US pullout

The UN watchdog said Iran’s total stockpile of uranium, which under the accord should be no more than the equivalent of 300 kilograms (661 pounds) of uranium hexafluoride, stood at roughly 360 kilograms.

US Betrayal

But Rouhani stressed the Iranian countermeasures were reversible. “Our steps have been taken in such a way that it doesn’t take much time to get back to the starting point,” he said. He also voiced regret over the failure of European governments to fulfil pledges they made during negotiations.

Reacting to the threat, a French diplomat involved in talks with Tehran said any further violation of the deal would send a “bad signal”.

“Europeans haven’t acted on their commitments or couldn’t… in some cases they could have acted but did not,” he said. “What we are asking of the other countries is that they continue to buy our oil. “We can continue negotiations even after the third step,” he added.

Read more: Trump predicts Iran talks pretty soon

Rouhani has had a series of phone calls with Macron in recent weeks aimed at salvaging the nuclear deal. The French president has been trying to convince the US to offer Iran relief from sanctions it has imposed on the Islamic republic since pulling out of the agreement.

The 2015 deal was brokered between Iran and the so-called 5+1 — UN Security Council permanent members Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States plus Germany.

AFP with additional input by GVS News Desk. 

Facebook Comments