Pakistani Ali Sadpara, two foreign climbers goes missing during K2 expedition

The team on the ground says it lost contact with the expedition team last evening. Two other international climbers from Iceland and Chile were also on the expedition

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Pakistani mountaineer Ali Sadpara and his team have gone missing reportedly during their ascent to the K2 peak in this Winter Expedition 2021 on Friday night.

The team on the ground says it lost contact with the expedition team last evening. Two other international climbers from Iceland and Chile were also on the expedition.

Pakistan Army helicopters returned unsuccessful to Skardu from the search operation on Saturday. The army helicopters reportedly flew at the height of 7000 meters but returned clueless amid worsening weather and lighting conditions.

Earlier, on Friday there were false news reports that the team had successfully scaled the world’s second-highest peak, K2. Sadpara before setting off on another attempt to scale the ‘killer mountain’ had affirmed he would wave the Pakistani flag on the peak on February 5th, on Kashmir Day.

John Snorri from Iceland and Juan Pablo (Chile) were part of the team. Pakistani mountaineer’s son, Sajid Sadpara, was also on the mission, however, he was not part of the last night’s final mission as his oxygen kit was reportedly malfunctioning. Sadpara started his mission in the wee hours of Wednesday morning on his birthday. He had asked the nation to keep him in prayers.

Read more: 60 international climbers to scale K2 summit in a risky winter expedition

Sadpara had planned to complete the final ascent by Friday evening. However, the news of the team missing emerged after unconfirmed reports of them successfully scaling the mountain beamed on national news channels. Prayers are being requested for the missing mountaineers on social media. According to the latest news, Sajid Sadpara has safely descended to the base camp. Hashtag #AliSadpara is trending with prayers, wishes and giving good luck to the team for their recovery.

Bulgarian Alpinist dies during K2 expedition

Meanwhile, Bulgarian alpinist Atanas Skatov died during his K2 expedition in Pakistan on Friday.

Bulgarian National Radio (BNR) said that 42-year-old Skatov’s body fell to a place where the rescue teams could not reach.

Earlier on Friday, a Pakistani army helicopter took off to inspect the area as Skatov disappeared. His body was found and taken by helicopter from K2 Base Camp to Pakistan’s Skardu.

Bulgarian Foreign Minister Ekaterina Zaharieva on social media offered condolences to Skatov’s family and friends.

“My deepest condolences to the family and friends of Atanas #Skatov. Admiration to the power of his spirit – his achievements and his unceasing will when climbing the top will never be forgotten! Let us honor his memory! #K2winter2021 #k2winterexpedition2021,” Zaharieva tweeted.

Read more: Bulgarian alpinist Skatov dies during expedition on Pakistan’s K2

Skatov previously climbed Mount Everest, the highest mountain on the globe.

The altitude of Everest 8,848 meters or 29,029 feet. With an altitude of 8,611 meters (28,251 feet), K2 in Pakistan is the world’s second-highest mountain after Everest.