Advertising

UNSC meeting triggered over ISIS attack in Kabul, World leaders condemn

The full Security Council permanent members will hold an emergency meeting. World leaders respond to the heinous attack in Kabul.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Thursday called a meeting of the permanent members of the Security Council (UNSC) to discuss the chaotic situation in Afghanistan, diplomats said.Guterres sent letters formally inviting the United States, Britain, France, Russia and China to meet on Monday, the diplomats told AFP.Read More:Blast rocks Kabul airport eastern wing, casualties unclear: PentagonSome member countries of the so-called P5 had been discussing the possibility of a meeting for a few days, they added. Russia was supposedly reticent but all of the five are expected to join, one diplomat said.https://twitter.com/antonioguterres/status/1430960735295782917

 

A spokesperson for Guterres confirmed the meeting, which will not include the current ten non-permanent members of the Security Council. The full Security Council last met in Afghanistan on August 16, a day after the Taliban swept to power in the country.

Guterres also condemned Thursday’s bombings at Kabul airport, which killed dozens including 12 US servicemen and have been claimed by the Islamic State group.

Read More: Islamic State’s “credible” threat to Afghans amid evacuation pressures

“This incident underscores the volatility of the situation on the ground in Afghanistan but also strengthens our resolve as we continue to deliver urgent assistance across the country in support of the Afghan people,” he said in a statement.

 

World leaders condemn ‘despicable’ Kabul airport attack

Deadly coordinated explosions on Thursday tore through crowds of people at Kabul airport hoping to board flights to safety, as countries raced to evacuate as many people as possible before an August 31 deadline. Here is a round-up of the reaction to the attack following the Taliban’s power grab.
Read More: “We should trust the Taliban”: PM addresses the nation on govt’s 3-yr performance

– Britain –

Prime Minister Boris Johnson condemned the attack as “barbaric”, paying tribute to the “phenomenal effort” of those involved in the evacuation operation.

“We’re going to continue with that operation, we’re now coming towards the very end of it in any event,” he said, adding that Britain would “keep going up until the last moment”.

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab added that personnel had continued to work even “under fire”.

“We will not let the cowardly acts of terrorists stop us.”

– France –

French President Emmanuel Macron condemned “with the utmost firmness the terrorist attacks”.

In a statement, he expressed “his condolences to the families of the American and Afghan victims” and saluted “the heroism of those who are on the ground to carry out the evacuation operations”, adding that “France will see them through to the end”.

Czech Foreign Minister Jakub Kulhanek said: “I strongly condemn the despicable terrorist attack in Kabul. I mourn the death of Afghans and members of the US military.”

 

– Egypt –

“Egypt’s government and people send their condolences to all Afghan and US casualties who fell victim to gruesome terrorism. Egypt renews its solidarity in combatting all forms of terrorism, violence and extremism,” Egypt’s foreign ministry said in a statement.

 

– Israel –

Israeli Defence Minister Benny Gantz said: “My thoughts and prayers are with the US troops and the Afghan people in Kabul, following the attacks that recently took place. I extend my condolences for the lives lost and pray for the rapid recovery of the injured. We stand with our American partners.”

Read More: Moeed Yusuf urges US, Pakistan to cooperate on Afghanistan

– Italy –

Italy “strongly condemns” the attacks, Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio wrote on Twitter.

“No Italian was harmed… I express my condolences to those who lost their lives and my solidarity with the wounded. Italy strongly condemns the attacks,” he said.

The country’s operation to evacuate Afghans and Italian nationals were continuing.

– Norway –

Norwegian Foreign Affairs Minister Ine Eriksen Soreide blasted a “terrible act of cruelty” on Twitter.

“I strongly condemn the terrorist attack outside #Kabul airport. Innocent civilians trying to leave the country have become victims of this terrible act of cruelty.”

– Saudi Arabia –

Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Ministry reiterated in a statement the “Kingdom’s position rejecting such criminal acts, which are incompatible with all religious principles and moral and human values”.

The ministry said it stood “with the Afghan people” and “offered the “kingdom’s condolences and sympathy to the families of the victims and the Afghan people”.

– Spain –

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said his government sent its “heartfelt solidarity” to those killed in the blasts.

“Spain strongly condemns the attack suffered today at the Kabul airport. Our heartfelt solidarity with the victims,” he said in a tweet.

“The international community stands with the Afghan people, ensuring their rights and dignity. We are working to evacuate as many people as possible,” he added.

Read More: Anti-Taliban resistance spreading in Afghanistan: Ahmed Shah Massoud’s brother

– Sweden –

Swedish Minister for Foreign Affairs Ann Linde said on Twitter: “Our deepest condolences to the families of the US service members that were killed and wounded in today’s terrorist attack at Kabul airport. We are grateful for all your efforts in making this historic evacuation operation possible.”

– Turkey –

Turkey’s Foreign Ministry deplored a “heinous” attack which targeted the main gate of the airport.

“We have learned with great sorrow that many people died or were wounded as a result of the terrorist attacks that took place in Kabul today,” it said.

“We condemn this heinous attack in the strongest terms, offer our condolences to the relatives of those who lost their lives and wish a speedy recovery to the wounded,” it added.

– NATO –

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said allied forces should continue to evacuate as many vulnerable people as they can from Kabul despite what he branded a “horrific terrorist attack”.

“Our priority remains to evacuate as many people to safety as quickly as possible,” he tweeted.

– WHO –

“Appalled that vulnerable people are being exposed to further suffering in Kabul. Civilians must be protected. @WHO is on the ground in #Afghanistan and ready to support health facilities to treat the wounded,” said WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

 

 

Read More: Western nations set red alert: threat at Kabul airport

© AFP via additional inputs from GVS.

Continue reading

A move to step back from from expensive imported fuel

Global fuel prices have caused panic throughout the world. As an alternative to expensive imported fuel, Prime Minister Shahbaz...

PTI explains removal of astroturf from Hockey Stadium before rally

A video went viral on social media in which the labourers are removing astroturf from the stadium. The video gained traction and attracted massive condemnation on social media for ruining the stadium.

Islamabad police defend raid at house of Shahbaz Gill’s driver

Islamabad police said the process of raiding Shahbaz Gill's driver's house is legal and warned action will also be taken against those who are spreading false news and incitement among the people.