Coronavirus: Tom Hanks recover as Pak cancels Bangladesh matches

The multiple Oscar-winning actor, Tom hanks recovered from coronavirus infection. While Pakistan cancels Bangladesh series.

Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks has been released from the Australian hospital where he was in isolation since testing positive for the coronavirus last week, but his wife Rita Wilson remains hospitalized, health officials said Tuesday.

The multiple Oscar-winning actor was on the Gold Coast near Brisbane to film an Elvis Presley biopic directed by Australian Baz Luhrmann when he and Wilson, both 63, came down with the disease.

Wilson, a singer-songwriter, had given concerts in Sydney and Brisbane before testing positive for COVID-19 and Australian authorities have been tracking the couple’s contacts to identify any other people who may have been infected.

Australia has so far confirmed nearly 400 cases of coronavirus, with five deaths from the disease. The couple have posted to social media about their run-in with COVID-19, thanking their Australian carers and urging their fans to follow the advice of experts on avoiding the disease.

Hanks was believed to have returned to the penthouse apartment in the Gold Coast where the couple had been staying while he worked on the Lurhmann film, in which he was due to portray Elvis’ long-time manager, Colonel Tom Parker.

Pakistan postpones Bangladesh cricket fixtures over virus

Bangladesh’s upcoming cricket tour of Pakistan was postponed on Monday as the coronavirus pandemic plays havoc with sports events across the globe.

Bangladesh were due to play a one-day international on April 1 followed by a Test, as Pakistan slowly re-emerges as a host for international cricket after a decade of isolation.

Read more: Oscar winning Hollywood actor Tom Hanks gets coronavirus

“The Pakistan and Bangladesh cricket boards have decided to postpone the upcoming one-day International and Test in Karachi for a later date,” said the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) in a statement.

The PCB has also indefinitely postponed the domestic Pakistan Cup tournament, which was scheduled to start on March 25.

The announcement comes days after Pakistan began holding the remaining matches of its domestic cricket league in empty stadiums to prevent the transmission of the virus.

Pakistan has recorded fewer than 100 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus, and no deaths.

Officials have tested fewer than 1,000 potential cases in the country of about 215 million people, where healthcare is frequently inadequate.

Read more: PCB to lose Rs.100 million with closed-door matches of PSL

A deadly 2009 attack on a convoy carrying Sri Lanka’s team halted international cricket tours to Pakistan, but visits are gradually resuming following an improvement in security.

AFP with additional input by GVS News Desk

Facebook Comments

blank