to make a mouth watering Double Banana Cream Pie you need to:
- 5 ounces gluten-free arrowroot cookies (about 50 cookies)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon banana extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1 tablespoon almond brickle chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare crust, place cookies and 2 tablespoons sugar in a food processor; process until finely ground. Add 1/4 cup melted butter; process until blended and moist. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling, combine 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring to combine. Add milk and egg yolks, stirring with a whisk. Cook 6 minutes or until mixture starts to boil and begins to thicken, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in extracts and 2 tablespoons butter. Place pan in a bowl of ice to cool.
- Arrange half of banana slices in a single layer over crust; top with half of filling mixture. Repeat layers. Cover surface of filling with plastic wrap coated with cooking spray. Chill at least 3 hours. Uncover, and spread whipped topping over filling. Sprinkle with brickle chips.