News Desk |
Prime Minister Imran Khan in a short video gave a message to the nation about the dire taxation issue being faced by the country where only 1% people out of a population of 220 million are tax filers.
Out of 22 crore people in Pakistan, only 1% pay their taxes. This is why we still lag behind in terms of education, health and infrastructure than most other nations. Get your assets declared by 30th June 2019 and contribute to the growth & prosperity of Pakistan. pic.twitter.com/5ZxDn3YG2g
— PTI (@PTIofficial) May 30, 2019
Prime Minister Pakistan in a recorded video message addressing the nation says, “I am here to discuss a very critical matter with the people of Pakistan, only 1% of the population is filing taxes and bearing the weight of the other 99%.”
PM Khan has replaced his entire economic team in order to put the country in order.
Khurram Husain of Dawn shared the news but also added that how the government was facilitating the stock brokers. “I assure you your tax money will be spent on you and I will not allow it to be stolen,” says Imran Khan in a short pre-recorded televised address delivered on the day his Finance Minister approved a Rs20 billion bailout for stock brokers!
Read more: Naya Pakistan: New Cabinet and the future of old-PTI
"I assure you your tax money will be spent on you and I will not allow it to be stolen" says Imran Khan in a short pre-recorded televised address delivered on the day his Finance Minister approved a Rs20 billion bailout for stock brokers!
— Khurram Husain (@KhurramHusain) May 30, 2019
Prime Minister is of the view that if people do not pay taxes the government shall not be able to build new hospitals or schools. “If you do not pay your taxes then we can’t help rebuild the country, we can’t work on hospitals, schools and basic infrastructure due to lack of tax collection,” said the PM.
Pakistan is currently facing a huge economic crisis despite getting money from friendly countries. PM Khan has replaced his entire economic team in order to put the country in order. However, analysts believe that without introducing an effective mechanism of taxation, the country is unlikely to stand up on her own feet.
Read more: Naya Pakistan: PM inaugurates housing project in Quetta
Lower Tax Collection Leads To Seeking Loans
The PM confessed that due to meager tax collection the country resorts to applying for loans. “I pledge to use your tax money on the development of Pakistan rather than looting it, I urge you all to declare your assets and contribute to the national economy, added Khan.
Prime Minister is of the view that if people do not pay taxes the government shall not be able to build new hospitals or schools.
He also clarified that the act would not prove beneficial to the economy but would also free the people from the fear and annoyance that may be caused when accountability institutes take due action against tax evaders.
Read more: Naya Pakistan: Federal Government is committed to develop Tribal Areas of…
PM Khan also revealed that the anti-graft watchdogs and institutes of tax and revenue have gathered the required information to act against those trying to evade taxation, “information has also been acquired from the overseas.”
The Prime Minister urged the citizens to declare their assets by 30th June 2019 and contribute to the growth & prosperity of the country.