Punjab caretaker chief minister Mohsin Naqvi has rejected the rumors of closing Sehat Cards in the province.
According to the details, the Punjab caretaker chief minister said the Sehat Cards are not being closed but steps are being taken to prevent their misuse. Mohsin Naqvi said health cards would have completely free treatment in public hospitals, and private hospitals would have 70% free treatment۔
Earlier on Sunday, Punjab interim health minister Professor Dr Javed Akram refuted the reports that the provincial government was rolling back the Punjab Sehat Card programme initiated by the PTI government.
Addressing a press conference along with the interim information minister Aamir Mir, Dr Javed Akram highlighted “indiscrepancies” in the health card programmme, saying bogus heart surgeries were carried out under the health insurance facility.
“The health card facility was massively misused. People became billionaires with corruption in Sehat Card,” he said.
The Punjab interim government’s statement comes amid reports of the suspension of heart ailment treatment on the health card at private hospitals. However, the minister said the interim government was ensuring uninterrupted patient access to these services.
Moreover, in March, it was learnt that the State Life Insurance Company had threatened to close the Sehat Card programme over non-payment of dues worth Rs83 billion.
The tussle between the State Life Insurance and Punjab Health Feasibility Company had intensified as the state-owned insurance company threatened the closure of the revolutionary Sehat Card programme, launched by the PTI government.
On the other hand, Dr Javed Akram emphasised that the government is negotiating a new contract with the Punjab State Life Insurance Company to make further improvements to provide enhanced facilities to the public through the health card system.