Federal Minister for Science and Technology Fawad Chaudhry on Thursday took to Twitter and shared his apprehensions on the murder investigations of journalist Aziz Memon. Fawad Ch also demanded transparent probe into alleged murder.
The minister said that he had talked to Memon’s brother three days ago, he claimed that Memon’s brother was completely dissatisfied with the investigations.
تین دن پہلے عزیز میمن کے بھائ سے بات ہوئ وہ تفتیش سے مکمل غیرمطمن تھے، اور ظاہر ہے جب مبینہ فاتل خود تفتیش کے نگران ہوں انصاف کیسے ہو سکتا ہے ؟ سندہ حکومت اس معاملے پر اپنی پوزیشن واضع کرے، مقتول ان کو مجرم ٹھہرا کر گیا ہے اتنی آسانی سے یہ لہو مٹے گا نہیں۔
— Ch Fawad Hussain (@fawadchaudhry) March 5, 2020
Fawad Chaudhry said that the deceased journalist’s brother was rightfully dissatisfied because those accused of the murder are themselves conducting investigations to arrest the perpetrators.
The minister demanded the Sindh government come clear on the matter and explain their position on it.
“The slain journalist has named the current Sindh regime as his murderer’s, the stains of the dead’s blood will not be washed away this easily,” said Fawad Chaudhry. “Me and federal minister for Human Rights, Shireen Mazari had requested the speaker national assembly the next day after the incident was reported to hand over investigations to the federal government’s investigative agency rather than leaving it at the mercy of the provincial regime,” he added.
پہلے دن @ShireenMazari1 اور میں نے اسپیکر قومی اسمبلی کو درخواست کی تھی کہ عزیز میمن کے قتل کی تفتیش وفاقی ایجنسی کو کرنی چاہئے، اس قتل کے پس منظر حقائق کی روشنی میں سندہ پولیس اس کی تفتیش کر ہی نہیں سکتی، آج سندہ پولیس نے جس طرح اس قتل کو طبعی موت قرار دیا وہ قابل مذمت ہے۔
— Ch Fawad Hussain (@fawadchaudhry) March 5, 2020
Fawad has once again assured journalists to take the matter in the national assembly. We will, he said, bring the murderers before the world.
Aziz died a natural death, NA told
The National Assembly’s Standing Committee on Interior on Wednesday was informed that Sindhi journalist Aziz Memon had died a natural death as the medical report did not confirm any violence or poisoning.
Additional Inspector General Police Hyderabad Dr Waliullah Dal and other police officers briefed the committee, chaired by Raja Khurram Shahzad Nawaz, that journalist Aziz Memon was the patient of hypertension, sugar and his medical report did not confirm any murder.
He said Memon’s brother had nominated the deceased’s fellow cameramen in the First Information Report (FIR). The cameraman, who brought him to Rohri Canal had already been arrested. Joint Investigation Team (JIT) was being constituted on request of the deceased’s brother to probe the real cause of the death of the journalist will be notified within a day or so.
DIG refuses to answer the question
Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Hyderabad who was attending a ceremony on Wednesday was faced by media personnel afterwards who tried to question him over the ongoing murder investigations of journalist Aziz Memon, local media reported.
The DIG, visibly distraught refused to answer the questions, he said investigations were as yet underway to determine the perpetrators and a joint investigation team was also being formulated on the matter.
He said that if something came up in the investigations then swift and prompt action will surely be taken against the perpetrators, whoever they may be.
Aziz Memon, a brave journalist.
Last year, Aziz Memon reported on the rented demonstrators hired for Bilawal Bhutto’s train march. He was found dead in a canal. Police suspect it to be murder by strangulation as a wire was found wrapped around his neck.
Aziz Memon was associated with KTN in Interior Sindh and had reported that PPP rented hundreds of poor people from nearby villages to welcome Bilawal Bhutto during his long march on the train from Karachi to Larkana last year. These rented people were hired to arrange a sham grand welcome for Bilawal Bhutto on the railway station, crafting the optics of PPP’s wide following across Sindh.
Aziz memon a Sindhi Journalist has been killed today,he narrated his ordeal in this video and even came to Islamabad to apprise about death threats from PPP,I request CJ SC to take notice and fed agency shld investigate the case as he accused ruling party of Sindh before murder https://t.co/gFu9nbVbzj
— Ch Fawad Hussain (@fawadchaudhry) February 17, 2020
In his story, he added that MNA PPP Syed Abrar Ali Shah and Town Municipal Committee Halani had hired people initially to welcome Bilawal Bhutto for Rs.2000 each but they ended giving up Rs.200 to people after which the rented demonstrators protested and he reported the incident.
A few days ago, his video informing the authorities about threats to life emerged on social media. Unfortunately, no timely action was taken by the authorities and police to save Aziz Memon’s life.
In his video, he alleged that local PPP leadership and SSP Naushero Feroze are threatening him and his family ever since he reported the story. He said his children are harassed by these people. He pleaded for shelter probably in Islamabad to save his life.
He said he does not have any party affiliations, nor with PTI or PPP, and he is a neutral journalist that he declared in his oath as well. He also requested Bilawal Bhutto to save his life. In a message to PPP’s chairperson, he said that Bilawal Bhutto is a rational man, who must understand that like any other journalist he just reported the incident and that that was not a fabricated story because the complainants were also shown.
It is yet to be seen whether the murderers are brought before the world or not. However, analysts maintain that the PPP has conveyed a strong message to the local media houses that anyone who points out flaws in governance or politics of the PPP shall meet the same fate.