The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan has condemned the brutal murder of Aziz Memon and said that it is a severe violation of human rights.
While talking to the Global Village Space (GVS), spokesperson of HRCP said” Journalists are the first source of information and murder of working journalists is a looming threat to the freedom of expression.”
Furthermore, Mr. Chandio maintained to say that the increasing threats and murders of journalists need to be seriously heeded to avoid further mishaps in the province
He added that the similar case of the murder of a journalist Ali Sher Rajper in the same district emerged last year. He further said that the murderers of the MPA Shehnaz Ansari have not been arrested yet, this shows the state institutions are weaker before the mighty goons.
Furthermore, Mr. Chandio maintained to say that the increasing threats and murders of journalists need to be seriously heeded to avoid further mishaps in the province.
Aziz Memon was murdered for reporting rented gathering in Bilawal’s welcome
Journalist Aziz Memon, from Mehrabpur, Naushero Feroze Sindh was found dead, who last year, reported on the rented demonstrators hired for Bilawal Bhutto’s train march. He was found dead in a canal on Sunday. Police suspected it to be murder by strangulation as a wire was found wrapped around his neck.
نوشہرو فیروز :محرابپور کے مبینہ طور پر قتل کیے گئے صحافی عزیز میمن کی تحفظ کی اپیل کی ویڈیو سامنے آگئی، اس وڈیو میں صحافی کا کہنا ہے کہ بلاول بھٹو زرداری کے ٹرین مارچ کے دوران محراب پور میں کرائے کے لوگ لانے کی خبر چلائی تھی،خبر چلانے کے بعد پولیس اور جیالے جان کے دشمن بن گئے ہیں pic.twitter.com/uJZv9veFg1
— Siasat.pk (@siasatpk) February 16, 2020
Aziz Memon was associated with KTN TV Channel in Sindh and had reported that PPP rented hundreds of poor people from nearby villages to welcome Bilawal Bhutto during his long march on the train from Karachi to Larkana last year. These rented people were hired to arrange a grand welcome for Bilawal Bhutto on the railway station, crafting the optics of PPP’s wide following across Sindh.
A few days ago, his video informing the authorities about threats to life emerged on social media. Unfortunately, no timely action was taken by the authorities and police to save Aziz Memon’s life.
In his video, he alleged that local PPP leadership and SSP Naushero Feroze are threatening him and his family ever since he reported the story. He said his children are harassed by these people. He pleaded for shelter probably in Islamabad to save his life.
While Aziz Memon had alleged the local PPP’s leadership for his murder, MNA PPP Nafisa Shah condemned the murder but demanded the government to take exceptional measures to protect journalists from such tragic incidents.
The tragic and horrifying death of journalist #AzizMemon is a stark reminder of the dangers journalists encounter in the line of duty. Governments must do more to ensure their safety & security. My thoughts and prayers are with his bereaved family. https://t.co/nqFRH86Zax
— Nafisa Shah (@ShahNafisa) February 17, 2020
Journalist community face threats and FIR,s in Sindh
Recently, the emerging cases have emerged of lodging undue FIRs against working journalists to curtail their voice for the people in Sindh. The cases against Ajeeb Lakho– a journalist based in Khairpur district have been lodged by the officials. Moreover, the same is being faced by the working journalists in Sukkur where reporters and working journalists Irfan Phulpoto and Sahil Jogi of Sama TV have been facing the cases.