SSP Atta ur Rehman states that there is enough evidence to announce a punishment for the culprits involved in the Usman Mirza couple harassment case despite the victims’ retraction.
Tuesday, a storm broke out in Pakistan as the victims of Usman Mirza refused to recognize the accused persons. The female victim also submitted an affidavit to deny perusing the case any further.
According to the female victim, the police created the case. They also took her signature along with thumb impressions on blank papers multiple times. She also denied that Usman Mirza ever sexually assaulted her. Important to note, the victim previously recorded a statement accusing Usman Mirza of sexual assault.
Last year, disturbing videos surfaced on social media in which the main accused Usman Mirza violently thrashed and harassed a young couple in a room full of men.
The Islamabad police later took Mirza into custody while registering a first information report (FIR) in the case. Furthermore, Islamabad High Court (IHC) rejected the bails of the main accused.
While registering the case, the female victim said Usman Mirza and the other accused had “threatened to gang-rape her if she did not have sex with her friend while they filmed it.”
The victim said she was “forced to perform a nude dance in front of Usman and his accomplices.”
She also added that the culprits beat her when she refused. However, in the latest updates, the female victim completely refused to recognize Usman Mirza.
This came as a blow to Pakistanis as they expressed concern that the victim is being blackmailed and once again the powerful will escape justice.
— Rabiya Javeri Agha (@RabiyaJaveri) January 11, 2022
SSP expresses hope that culprits will be punished
On the other hand, SSP Atta ur Rehman during an interview said he is hopeful that culprits will receive punishment.
According to SSP Atta ur Rehman, despite the victim’s retraction, there is enough strong video and forensic evidence to convict the accused.
“Apart from the victim’s statement, there are other forms of evidence as well. We have verified video evidence,” the SSP said.
SSP Atta ur Rehman referred to the previously recorded statements of the victim. Also, experts verified that the videos that surfaced online were not edited in any way.
— Siasat.pk (@siasatpk) January 11, 2022
“Despite the victim’s retraction, we have enough evidence and inshallah we will make sure the culprits receive punishment,” SSP further added.