| Welcome to Global Village Space

Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Israel shows aftermath of Iranian attack on airbase (VIDEO)

Only a few of more than 300 projectiles launched by Tehran made it through Israeli defenses, the IDF has said

The Iranian airstrikes on Israel at the weekend caused only minor damage to one military base, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) has claimed, releasing footage purporting to show repair work at the facility.

Tehran launched a series of airstrikes against Israel over the weekend, in retaliation for the bombing of an Iranian consular compound in Syria earlier this month. West Jerusalem has not commented on the consular attack, although Tehran has accused it of assassinating several of its high-ranking military personnel.

Read more: Israel ready for ‘any scenario’ with Iran – defense minister

Of the roughly 170 drones, 30 cruise missiles and 120 ballistic missiles launched from Iran at the weekend, only a few made it through the combined air defenses of Israel and its allies, IDF spokesperson Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari said in a press release on Sunday.

The ballistic missiles that breached Israeli defenses dealt “only minor damage to the infrastructure at the Nevatim base,” the IDF wrote on its website, posting footage purporting to show the damage and subsequent repair work.

“The function of Nevatim base was not affected, the planes continued to take off and land and fulfill the defense and attack missions,” it added.

As many as nine missiles penetrated Israeli defenses, ABC News wrote, citing a senior US official. Five ballistic missiles hit the Nevatim Airbase and damaged a C-130 transport plane, a runway and empty storage facilities, the channel said. Four more missiles hit the Negev Airbase, although no significant damage was done, the official told ABC.

Read more: Iran inaugurates new consulate in Damascus amidst regional turmoil

Iranian media, however, claimed the strikes destroyed “important military targets,” and published multiple videos purporting to show missiles penetrating Israeli air defenses. Tehran is satisfied with the outcome and has no intention of continuing the operation, chief of staff of the armed forces, Major General Mohammad Bagheri, said. He warned that if Israel retaliates, “the next operation will be much more extensive.”