US President Donald Trump said Sunday that he was pleased by the recent signing of a defense pact between Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan. He expressed his views on his Truth Social platform on X. Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Pakistani Prime Minister Muhammad Shehbaz Sharif, and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan signed the agreement in Makkah, Saudi Arabia on August 7.
Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry said that the pact is meant for a joint cooperation in defense sector. The pact also reads that an attack on any member would be regarded as an attack on all, adding that it was intended to strengthen collective deterrence. The agreement declared a shared commitment to further strengthening the collective security and promoting peace, security, and stability in the region and beyond. Trump called the agreement as big, bold and an important first step.
Read more: ‘Don’t come out, you’ll be killed’: Palestinians recount Israeli settler violence in West Bank
The agreement between the three countries comes amid a U.S.-Iran war that has extended violence to the region, including Houthi rebel attacks. Turkey’s defense ministry said last week that Pakistan, Turkey and Saudi Arabia will form political and military mechanisms under the pact, adding that alliance would also deepen defense industry cooperation. Both Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Hina have said that the pact is defensive in nature, with the later saying that it is also open to any country in the region willing to uphold its fundamental principles.
Shortly after the agreement was signed, Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said Turkey expected Egypt to join the pact in the next stage. Meanwhile, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that pact is not just restricted to three countries, but is open for other countries to join, but is open for other countries in the region to join. Meanwhile, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar and Somalia have welcomed the pact.













